Audible reignited my love of books | Journey Towards Positivity & Self Belief
Disclaimer: As an affiliate I may receive compensation for affiliate links that results in obtaining a benefit with no cost to you.
Audible! Where have you been all my life?! No seriously! I was one of those people who said “I used to love reading, but I just don’t have time for it anymore” Translation “I cannot be bothered!” Let’s be honest, we make time for the things that we really want to do and reading, well, just didn’t do it for me and hadn’t for, let’s say, quite a few years.
I grew up on Goosebumps (who’s with me?!). The moment I picked one of those books up, I was hooked! I absolutely loved them! Scary, but not too scary. You’d be transferred into another world where your evil twin lived in a mirror, your toys came to life or where you had to be careful what you wished for. Being lost, I read them in a few hours and onto the next one I’d go. I loved the horror genre and went onto Point Horror books and my love for books developed from there.
Mostly reading in the evening, just before I went to bed, would bring me much comfort and aid me to sleep. Anyways, my early twenties took over, as did nights outs and so did a chronic working pattern and books become less and less involved in my life. Don’t get me wrong, I’d read the odd one here or there (that would take me months sometimes), but my heart wasn’t in it. I got married, had a son and life became more about family and routine.
So, what changed?
My Journey Towards Positivity & Self Belief started me on a path to self-discovery and on this journey, I came to a strong realisation that I didn’t do enough just for me. You know what I mean? In my working life, I had taken every opportunity possible to train or gain a qualification, but in terms of self-education or self-learning, I just didn’t do it….as most of us did, I turned to Google for most of my answers.
My Journey pointed out this gap and prompted me to start looking at what it was that I wanted to learn, where my interests lay that would possibly help me going forward. A friend of mine asked me if I had Audible and if not, did I fancy the free trial? You had me at free! I thought, with a free audio book to boot. As I said earlier, feeling like time was an issue I soon realised the potential of Audible and as driving was a regular thing I did for work, my car became my mobile university! Why hadn’t someone introduced me to this ages ago?! Was my first thought! Excitement to get into my car and set up Audible through the app became part of my regular routine, as well as mirror, signal, manoeuvre.
Pro’s of Audible
- 30 day free trial. You cannot go wrong with a free trial!! You get 30 days, plus an audio book for free, access to Podcasts and exclusive offers. Cancelling is easy, with no complicated T’s and C’s. Just cancel within the 30-day free trial.
- Audible is unbelievably easy to operate; it book marks where you left off and synchronizes between all your devices. You have an easy access driving mode and your own library with all your purchases.
- Hassel free exchange. If for whatever reason, you’re not happy with your purchase, you can exchange and your credit returned to buy another audiobook!
- Handy features you didn’t know you needed. The app is so convenient! It has an option for your reading to be interrupted by calls (or not) and if it does, it literally picks up where you left off and even goes back a few seconds as a recap. Additionally, it logs and tracks the hours of use and how long you have left on each chapter or the listening time until you’ve finished the audiobook.
- Wifi free! You don’t have to be connected to the internet at all times to listen. Download at home and listen without data usage.
- Repurposes those long commutes. No excuses not to read now and when on a long commute, it is great entertainment.
- You get that personal touch! I find it a great experience also if the author is reading the book, as it gives you that personal touch, hearing the passion through their flawless delivery is priceless.
- You can ‘Try before you buy’ As I said, I took the free option for 30 days and continued to pay the subscription, as it is a monthly investment in my personal development. I wouldn’t go without it now. If after scrolling you’ve come across a few books you’d like to try, but want to make sure it’s for you or you’re not quite sure you can ‘try before you buy’ so to speak. You have the option of accessing a free sample in which you can make your own mind up!
- Cheap subscription. Audible has really reignited my passion for books! Listening to Audio books has given me an intro into the author to then further research them, which is really handy as the audio books are a lot cheaper than hard copies too!
- The audiobook is yours. Yes it is! Once you’ve purchased with your credit, you own it. There is not a time limit of reading the audiobook. Neither does it expire after a certain time. It is yours forever, even if you cancel!
Cons of Audible
- There are none! Ok, this is going to seem a bit one sided, but I genuinely do not have any!
As I’ve mentioned before, if I come across something that is useful in any way, shape or form I vowed to pass it on and this is certainly one of them. Some may say it feels like cheating; not actually reading the book yourself. I say, whatever works for you! If time is an issue and you have free time in your car/bus/train/cycle route (which most of us do!) or you can get on with a job whilst enjoying your favourite book, educating yourself or getting lost in a fantasy world, then from my point of view it just enhances life that little bit more.
For me, Audible has served as a gateway to reignite my love of learning and books. To be honest I normally have a few books on the go at a time. I listen to an audiobook whilst commuting for work and have a hard copy on the go for when I’m home in an evening.
Working a 9-5, being a mum, wife and following my passion on the side, is a juggle at the best of times and trying to find the time to read, just seemed like an added hassle. During my Journey Towards Positivity and Self Belief it has taught me that at times, a necessary activity for self-development like reading can always be fitted in, it’s your creativeness, smart working and priorities are the key to making things work!
If you struggled like me and really want to find the time to do something you once loved and feel like you have no time for, give Audible a try!
Until next time…